CORONAVIRUS INFORMATION IN JYVÄSKYLÄ
Symptoms and infection
Symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) disease include fever, cough and shortness of breath. Most sufferers suffer from a common respiratory infection, the common cold (flu).
Coronavirus tests are only performed for those with the most critical detection of infection.
If you do not have serious symptoms, you can rest at home. It is important that the disease is not transmitted to other people who can have very serious symptoms.
The disease can be dangerous especially for the elderly and for those with other diseases, such as lung and heart disease. The best way to protect yourself from infection is good hand hygiene.
Protect others from infection – remember good hand hygiene
Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Dry your hands with clean paper. Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth unless you have just washed your hands. You can also use hand disinfectant. If you sneeze or cough, protect your face with a disposable tissue and throw the tissue in the trash. If you do not have a tissue, cough into the sleeve of the shirt, do not use your hands.
If your symptoms are mild – rest at home, do not infect others
Most infections are mild and the patient recovers after about a week at home without medical attention. If you have common flu symptoms, such as cough or fever, rest at home. Symptoms can be relieved with painkillers.
If you have serious symptoms – always call first
If you feel very ill or have difficulty in breathing, call Jyväskylä Coronavirus number : 014 266 0133. The number will be answered from Monday to Friday from 8 am to 4 pm. At other times, please call the Central Finland Hospital District Emergency telephone helpline: 116 117. You will get instructions on what to do, when and where to go. In emergency call 112.
I am sick at home and I cannot go to the store of pharmacy – what should I do?
If you are sick and you cannot go to a store or pharmacy, ask your relatives or neighbors for help. Grocery stores and pharmacies have home delivery services. If you can’t get any help, ask the city of Jyväskylä for help.
Residents of Jyväskylä: call 014 266 0550 on weekdays at 8-16. Residents of Hankasalmi: call 014 267 1490 on weekdays at 8-16.
At other times residents of Jyväskylä and Hankasalmi can also get help from Social Emergency Services, phone number 014 266 0149.
How does coronavirus effect the lives of Jyväskylä residents?
- Do not travel abroad. If you come to Finland from abroad, stay home for 14 days.
- If you are sick, do not go work, shops or anywhere else where there are people.
- Do not take sick children to the day care or to grandparents.
- Meetings of more than 10 people are not recommended.
- Avoid going to public places unnecessarily.
- People over 70 should stay at home. You can take short walks outside.
- Housing units for the elderly and disabled (eg. nursing homes for the elderly) cannot be visited.
- No other people than the patient should go to the hospital. The necessary health escort or the spouse or support person for childbirth are allowed.
- Schools and colleges are closed until 13th of April.
- For more information: https://www.jyvaskyla.fi/opetus/perusopetus-jyvaskylassa/jyvaskylan-koulujen-varautuminen-koronavirukseenand Gradia keskeyttää lähiopetuksen
- Cultural places and sports facilities are closed from 17th of March.
- Do not go to the dentist for dental care if you have a flu.
- In urgent cases (eg. severe toothache), flu patients will be instructed to arrive to the appointment by telephone.
What can I do in quarantine or isolation?
Ask your health care professional for quarantine instructions in your own language. It is important that you follow the instructions. More information on the quarantine page: https://www.jyvaskyla.fi/terveys/korona/karanteeni
The information is given according to the instructions dated 19.3.2020. Follow the news.
Coronavirus page of the city of Jyväskylä: https://www.jyvaskyla.fi/terveys/korona
Updated information on Coronavirus in Jyväskylä in English: https://www.jyvaskyla.fi/en/news/2020-03-13_updated-information-coronavirus
Updated information on Finnish Institute of Health and Welfare (Terveyden ja hyvinvoinnin laitos THL) pages in English: https://thl.fi/en/web/infectious-diseases/what-s-new/coronavirus-covid-19-latest-updates
Information about the Finnish Government`s decisions on coronavirus in English: https://valtioneuvosto.fi/en/information-on-coronavirus